20-21 Bacone College Academic Catalog, last updated July 29, 2020


Academic Honors

1.      Semester Honor Rolls: Outstanding students are recognized each semester through the publication of the President's and Academic Dean's Honor Rolls. In order to be eligible for the President's Honor Roll, students must earn for the semester a GPA of 3.75 or above. The Academic Dean's Honor Roll requires students to earn a semester GPA between 3.50 and 3.74. Students must complete 12 or more semester hours, with a grade no lower than a "B", in college level courses (1000 level and above) at the time of final grade reporting, to be eligible for either honor roll. High school equivalency courses do not meet the criteria for inclusion in the determination of honor awards.


2.    Graduation Honors:

◦   Summa Cum Laude - For students achieving a cumulative GPA of 3.90 and above.

◦   Magna Cum Laude -  Students are awarded this honor with a cumulative GPA between 3.70 and 3.89.

◦   Cum Laude - Students receive this honor with a cumulative GPA between 3.50 and 3.69.


Academic Forgiveness

A currently enrolled student may request academic forgiveness for work completed five years or more prior to the request. Forgiveness can be for ALL work, or for ALL work at a specific institution. Acceptance of any portion of previous work at a specific institution will make all work applicable. Students must apply to the Registrar for academic forgiveness upon application or re-application to the College. Academic forgiveness does not affect any financial aid policies or regulations.

Academic Classification

The number of credit hours completed according to the following determines academic classification:

Freshmen............................ 0-30 credit hours
Sophomores...................... 31-60 credit hours
Juniors............................... 61-90 credit hours
Seniors................................ 91 + credit hours

Students enrolled in first-year Health Science programs will be considered freshmen regardless of the number of credit hours earned before being admitted into the program.

No student with fewer than 61 credit hours may register for a class at the 3000 level or higher without signed approval from the appropriate instructor and Division Chair or Dean.



Semester Load and Status

A full-time student is one who carries a minimum load of 12 credit hours in the regular semester or 6 credit hours during a summer session for main campus.

A resident student is one who carries a minimum load of 12 credit hours in the regular semester or 6 credit hours during summer and is residing in Bacone College housing.

A student should carry a normal load of 12 to 17 credit hours per regular semester. In most cases, this enrollment should lead to the successful completion of all bachelor degree requirements in 8 regular semesters and all associate degree requirements in 4 regular semesters. This does not include, however, any developmental or high school equivalency course work that may be needed. It also does not include any transfer credit or college credit earned while in high school.

A student who wishes to carry more than 17 credit hours per regular semester and more than 9 credit hours during summer must have approval from the Office of Academic Affairs.

A full-time student within the Division of Online Teaching and Learning is one who carries a minimum load of 9 credit hours in the Fall and Spring semesters as well as 9 credit hours during a summer session.

Academic Progress – Satisfactory (policy revised 12-22-16)

Bacone College requires that all of its students make satisfactory academic progress toward a degree in order to remain eligible as an enrolled student. Satisfactory academic progress is also necessary for students applying for and receiving assistance through the Federal Pell Grant, Federal SEOG, Federal Work Study, Oklahoma Tuition Aid Grant (OTAG), and Oklahoma Tuition Equalization Grant (OTEG) Oklahoma Higher Learning Access Program (OHLAP), Direct Subsidized Stafford Loan, Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan, Direct Parent PLUS Loan programs and VA education benefits. .  Bacone College students must meet THREE requirements to maintain their enrollment and, if applicable, financial aid eligibility:

·         Students are required to maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average, and

·         Students are required to complete (pass) a certain percentage of hours they attempt, and

·         Students must complete their degree within a timely manner.

These three requirements are summarized in the following charts. Failure to meet these minimum academic standards can result in the loss of continued enrollment and financial aid eligibility. Students are expected to know, based on this Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy, when they may be placed on warning, probation, or suspension. Satisfactory academic progress is reviewed at the end of each academic semester once grades have been posted.

1) Grade Point Average Requirement - Each student must meet a minimum cumulative grade point average to remain eligible for continued enrollment and federal student aid.


Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy Requirements

Undergraduate Students

Total Hours Attempted from all Institutions

1-30 Credit Hours

31-60 Credit Hours

61 or more Credit Hours

Minimum Cumulative GPA Requirements

1.60 GPA

1.80 GPA

2.0 GPA


2) Satisfactory Completion of Semester Hours Requirement - Students must also successfully complete and pass 67% of all courses they attempt. Grades of A, B, C, D, F, P, S, W, AW, WP, WF, I, N, NA, NP, X, and U are all considered attempted hours. All transfer hours are included in this calculation.


Percentage of cumulative attempted hours a student must complete to remain eligible for Federal Student Aid

 Undergraduate Students

Students must successfully complete:

67% of all attempted hours


3) Maximum Time Frame for Degree Completion - Students must complete their degree program within an allotted time frame to remain eligible for financial aid. The chart below indicates the time frame in which a degree must be acquired. Be aware that hour limits are cumulative; therefore, all hours from all institutions attended will be included, even if a student did not receive federal student aid. For financial aid purposes grades of A, B, C, D, F, P, S, W, AW, WP, WF, I, N, NA, NP, X, and U are all considered attempted hours. Once students reach their maximum time frame for their specified degree, they are no longer eligible for federal student aid.


 Attempted Hours Allowed for Earning a Degree

186 HOURS - First Bachelor's Degree


Repeated Coursework - Title IV funds may only pay for one repeat of a previously passed course. More than one repeated course will not be calculated in your enrollment status pertaining to Title IV funds.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Evaluation

Satisfactory Academic Progress is evaluated at the conclusion of each academic semester after grades have been posted. All attempted and transfer hours are counted during this evaluation.

·         Warning is given to students for one semester who do not meet either requirement #1 or #2 shown above. This is a warning status and students can continue enrollment and receive financial aid during their next semester of attendance. Note: A warning is not given to students regarding maximum time frame, it is the student's responsibility to know how many hours they have attempted and where they stand.

·         Suspension may be required for any students who fail to meet either requirement #1 or #2 at the conclusion of their warning semester. Students cannot receive funds from the aid programs listed above while suspended.

·         Probation will be required for all students who appeal their suspension and the appeal is granted.  Probation is contingent upon the student making satisfactory academic progress.  Failure to meet academic progress standards will result in suspension.  Continued probation may be necessary for students who are making significant progress but still unable to meet the standards set above.

·         Rules are applied uniformly to all students.


Appeal of Suspension

A student with extenuating circumstances may appeal a suspension by submitting a typed appeal to the Office of Academic Affairs AND the Office of Financial Aid (if applicable). Appeals must explain in detail why the student failed to meet the minimum academic standards, what extenuating circumstances caused the failure, and how the situation has since improved. Examples of extenuating circumstances include illness, medical issues with immediate family members, or a death in the family. Personal or financial issues with family, friends, or roommates are not considered extenuating circumstances. A student's typed appeal should include:

·         The reason(s) why the student failed to meet Satisfactory Academic Progress.

·         Supporting documentation that may be pertinent to the student's appeal.

·         An academic plan for success. (Details will be outlined in students’ suspension letter)

The Office of Academic Affairs and the Office of Financial Aid (if applicable) appeal committees will evaluate all documentation submitted and the student's appeal will be approved or denied. The results of the appeal will be emailed/mailed by USPS within approximately ten (10) working days after the appeal is received in the Office of Academic Affairs. If denied, the student's academic and financial aid suspension is upheld, the student will be ineligible to enroll.  A student suspended for failure to meet the Financial Aid academic progress standards can enroll but is responsible for paying for their own educational costs until the student improves his/her scholastic record to meet the minimum standards for financial aid. Students who were denied due to maximum time frame are responsible for paying for their own educational costs for the remainder of their degree program. If approved, the student will either be: Placed on probation for one semester only, or placed on a continued probation based on the academic plan for success that they submitted with their appeal.

The student's approval email/letter will explain all requirements that must be met during his/her probationary period to continue as a Bacone student and to receive financial aid. A student who fails to complete a single course or has a complete withdrawal from the college after receiving financial aid may be automatically placed on suspension.

Student (SAP) Responsibility

Students are held responsible for reading and understanding the Satisfactory Academic Progress eligibility requirements and knowing their status at the end of each semester. If questions arise, contact the Office of Financial Aid toll free at 888.682.5514.

Refund Policy for Financial Aid Recipients Who Withdraw or Do Not Receive Passing Grades in Any Enrolled Courses (Return of Title IV Funds)


To officially withdraw from all courses students must go online to www.bacone.edu and complete the withdrawal process electronically. If students have any questions with the electronic withdrawal process they are encouraged to contact Bacone College toll free at 888.682.5514 for assistance.

Students receiving federal financial assistance who completely withdraw from all classes, or fail to receive a passing grade in all courses during a period of enrollment, will be subject to the Return of Title IV Funds refund policy required by federal regulation. The Return of Title IV Funds are calculated during each period or term of enrollment. This policy applies to students receiving assistance through the PELL Grant, Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (SEOG), Direct Subsidized Stafford Loan, Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan, and Direct Parent PLUS Loan programs.

This policy assumes students “earn” their financial aid based on the period of time in which they are enrolled through the semester. This policy refers to two types of withdrawals; official and unofficial. When a student officially withdraws from all courses, the Office of Financial Aid will receive notification and will determine the date of withdrawal, institutional charges, and all aid disbursed. At the end of each semester, those students who did not receive a passing grade in any of their courses may be considered an unofficial withdrawal. These students’ withdrawal dates will be at the midpoint in the semester, the last time they attended class, or any scheduled academic event related to the period of enrollment. For those students who fail to return from an approved leave of absence, the withdrawal date will be designated as the date the leave of absence began.

After determining students’ withdrawal dates, official or unofficial, the Office of Financial Aid must then determine if the amount of aid disbursed to the student is greater than the amount the student earned. Any unearned funds must be returned to the federal student aid programs. Students who remain enrolled beyond 60 percent of the semester are considered to have earned 100 percent of aid received. Students who are enrolled for less than 60 percent of the semester will likely be responsible for repaying a portion of the financial aid received.  When performing a Return to Title IV calculation, all students’ institutional charges, i.e., tuition, fees, and room and board, are included in the calculation, as well as all disbursed federal aid. Any refund amount calculated from this formula that the College must return will be returned to the appropriate federal aid programs as determined by the Return of Title IV Funds process. Any loan funds returned as a result of the Return of Title IV Funds process will go into repayment based on the regular repayment terms of their promissory note. Students must be aware that when the College is required to return unearned funds due to their withdrawal, they may have a balance due to the school. Bacone College must complete the Return to Title IV process within 45 days of the date of a student’s withdrawal. Students will be notified by mail within approximately two (2) weeks of this completed process.

Academic Dishonesty Policy

The fundamental principle of academic life is integrity. The Bacone College community does not condone academic dishonesty in any form. When an act of academic dishonesty has occurred the incident must be reported to the Office of Academic Affairs by the faculty member in whose class(es) the act(s) of academic dishonesty occurred. Following the reporting of the incident(s) the subsequent actions may be taken:

  1. The instructor has the right to not accept the assignment or test in question and record a "zero" for the assignment or test, and/or require the student to redo the assignment (or test), or require the student to complete a substitute assignment or test.
  2. The student may be dropped from the class and assigned a failing grade (F). A written recommendation from the instructor is required.
  3. In cases of extreme or repeated incidents (two or more) of academic dishonesty, the student may be suspended from Bacone College.

The instructor and/or the Office of Academic Affairs will notify the student as to the action taken. If the student believes there has been an erroneous accusation made, the student may appeal the action. The student must file a written appeal within 10 working days of notification. The Office of Academic Affairs hears the appeal in the presence of the student, the instructor and the division chair as deemed necessary. The student and faculty member are informed in writing of the action taken.

Advanced Credit

The student, through several available options, may earn a total of 15 college credit hours toward the associate degree and 30 hours toward the bachelor degree.

Through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and Advanced Placement Program (APP), a student may test out of a subject and receive college credit.

Students may earn the credit hours shown by proving competency in the following CLEP subject matter tests (no credit will be allowed for general examination by CLEP). Credit will be given for these same subjects with a grade of 3 on the APP.


Minimum Score

Bacone Course


American Literature


LIT 2773

One 3 hr. elective

English Literature


LIT 2543

One 3 hr. elective

English Comp I


ENG 1113






Principles of Economics


ECN 2113




MTH 2135


Natural Science




* Credits are what Bacone College will allow towards a major or general education requirement. If a student CLEPs out of any course where there are no credits specifically reflected above, the student will receive the ACE recommended number of credit hours to apply to elective hours - - the credits will not fulfill general education requirements.

College credit may also be earned through distance learning courses offered through approved colleges and universities. The Division Chair, the Registrar, and the Office of Academic Affairs must approve for transfer of credit from distance learning courses offered by other institutions.

Students may obtain up to 21 credit hours of general education advanced standing credits via transfer credits, CLEP testing and AP exams.


Students who wish to participate in a class without earning credits toward a degree may audit the class. Grades or grade points for these courses will not be issued. Students must pay the full tuition rate for courses taken by audit. Students may change enrollment status from audit to credit, or credit to audit, until the close of the late enrollment period. Audited courses do not apply toward meeting graduation requirements.



Community Audit

Community members are encouraged to participate in auditing a program at Bacone College.  There is no tuition; however, there is a fee that is one-seventh (1/7th) of the hourly established rate. Any applicable fees for materials as outlined in the Financial Section of the catalog also apply.  Full-time students have priority for enrollment in all classes; therefore, community participants cannot enroll in any audited class until after the last day to enroll.  Consequently, the date a community participant can enroll is two weeks after the first day of class in the fall and spring semesters.

Student Advising

Once a new main campus student completes the Admissions and Financial Aid processes, Admissions evaluates the student’s academic documents, such as standardized test scores or transcripts from other colleges, to determine a student’s correct placement in their classes.


The Registrar determines if a course taken elsewhere is equivalent to one required for a major at Bacone College.  A grade of “D” is not transferable toward any Bacone College requirements.


Introduction to the Majors at Bacone College

Each major offered by Bacone College has designated a specific course, or courses, which will satisfy the Introduction to the Major requirement of the First 30. For the specific introduction to the major course, please visit with your advisor.

Attendance and Responsibility for Learning

Bacone College expects students to attend class on a regular and punctual basis. Students who are absent from class, regardless of the cause, have the responsibility of communicating with the instructor to discuss the missed work. The instructor will determine whether the student will be permitted to submit the work and will decide on the time and nature of the make-up assignment. Students who do not appear at the time prearranged for the make-up assignment forfeit any right to make-up the work. Excessive class absences do have a negative impact upon a student’s participation in a class and could result in a final grade of “F” for a course.



Campus Attendance Policy

1.       All students will be advised of the campus absence policy at orientation and in first year seminar.   All faculty members will include the policy in their syllabi

2.       All communication with students will be by Bacone email only and students are required to use only that for class communication or Moodle.  Students will be trained in the use of Bacone email in classes, orientation, and other means for the first two weeks.  These instructions will be repeated constantly.

3.       Student athletes who are departing for travel in the afternoon are required to attend morning classes.  Athletes will provide their instructors with their schedules as the season opens and notify their instructors of travel in advance.

4.       Students who are absent due to illness will need to prove their illness with a doctor’s form

5.       Instructors will have the discretion to award extra credit as appropriate to their syllabus

6.       Attendance will be taken from the first day of class attendance.


Intervention Practices

1.       When a student has accumulated 2 unexcused absences, the Attendance Intervention Team will act:

2.       The faculty member who is aware of the absences will email the Intervention Team which will consist of: the  student’s faculty advisor, the Director of TRIO,  Ms. Kaila Harjo (VP of Student Affairs),  and the student’s coach (if an athlete) advising them of the absences.  The following steps will be taken

a.       The faculty advisor will have a personal conference with the student advising them of the impact on their academic performance within one week,

b.       The VP Student Life will have a conference with the student, advising them of the possible impact on their Bacone scholarship and financial aid within one week

c.       If an athlete, the Coach will be notified and will handle the absences according to the athletic agreement signed by all athletes

d.       The Director of TRIO or designee will meet with the student to offer tutoring and other services.

e.       Each of these will send an email to the other members of the Intervention Team as they conduct their interviews with the student

3.       Upon the 4th Unexcused Absence, the instructor may advise the student that their grade will be reduced one letter grade due to excessive unexcused attendance

4.       Upon the 6th Unexcused Absence, the instructor may advise the student they are being withdrawn from the class and the instructor will ask the VPAA to have the student Administratively Withdrawn (showing a grade of “AW” in the student record.)

5.       Faculty will be accorded the right to exercise discretion based on knowledge of the student.

6.       Students have an opportunity for appeal of grades or absences.  Appeals of grades are made to the Division Chair in accordance with policies in the college catalog.  Appeals of absences are made in writing to the VPAA in accordance with policies in the college catalog.

Courses Repeated and Final Grades

Students may repeat a course in which they have made a grade of D or F.  They may repeat a course a maximum of four (4) times.  When repeating a course, the last grade earned is the grade that will be used in computing the hours attempted, hours for credit, and for cumulative grade point determination.  All entries remain a part of the student’s permanent transcript.

Final grades, other than incompletes, may be changed by faculty or college action only when there has been an error in computing the grade.

Adding and/or Dropping Classes

Students need to be familiar with the current Academic Year Calendar for the dates associated with adding a class to their official schedule and have until the last business day of the tenth week to officially drop a class. The dates to add and/or drop courses during the summer sessions, or for courses that meet at special times, may vary. Students must check the current, official Academic Calendar or inquire in the Office of the Registrar to find out the allowed dates for adding or dropping classes in those sessions or for classes that meet at special times, including accelerated programs.

To add or drop a class, students are required to meet with their advisor to review their options, then acquire the signatures necessary. The completed form (with signatures) must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar during normal business hours.

Prior to add/drop no record of courses that are dropped is needed since the period is during active enrollment.  After add/drop any dropped course must be reported as a W, and the hours listed as attempted on the transcript.

A student may be withdrawn from class(es) by the Office of Academic Affairs in cases where the student displays disrespectful or disruptive behaviors.

Credit Hour

A semester hour of credit is given for the equivalent of one 50-minute class period per week for a semester of 17 weeks. In the case of laboratory work, one semester hour of credit is granted for each two or more hours of laboratory work. With the exception of accelerated classes, the length of classes during summer and evening sessions will be proportioned according to the clock hours of a course meeting during the regular day classes.

Internship experiences for credit hours required the student to be registered and enrolled for the semester in which the internship is earned. Students must work 40 hours for each one hour of credit. For example, to earn three credits for the internship, 120 work hours must be completed over the course of the semester. A six-credit internship requires 240 work hours.

Disclosure Policy

Bacone College retains directory data and confidential data about current and former students. Upon admission, students provide and entrust the college with data for academic and personal records and other data generated during the student’s enrollment. As custodian of these records, Bacone College acknowledges the student's right of privacy concerning this information. The college further recognizes that certain information is a matter of public record and may be released for legitimate purposes. Bacone College strictly follows and adheres to the guidelines and stipulations stated in the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (as amended). For more information regarding these guidelines, contact the Office of the Registrar or the Office of Academic Affairs. Or you may log onto the following website for a detailed description of FERPA:


Final Examinations

The week set aside for final examinations is published each semester in the College’s official Academic Calendar. A detailed schedule of final exams is distributed to faculty and posted for students during each semester.  Examinations are to be given only at the scheduled time and each class must meet at that time. Only the Office of Academic Affairs can approve requests for early examinations or excuses from examinations. In emergency situations, a student may petition to take an incomplete in the course.

Skill Assessments

For all first-time freshmen and students transferring from other institutions with less than 30 credit hours, ACT sub-scores are used to determine where students need to be placed in mathematics, reading, and writing course work.



Grade Reporting

Each instructor reports to the Registrar mid-term deficiency progress grades of those students who are performing unsatisfactorily at the end of the sixth week of classes in the fall and spring semesters. Mid-term deficiency progress grade reports are not reported in summer term. Students may print a final grade report using the CAMS Student Portal following the end of each semester or summer term.

Academic Appeals

Relationships between students and educators at Bacone College are based on the assumption of mutual acceptance of certain rights and responsibilities. Disputes involving academic performance (grades) can often be resolved through an appeal process. An Academic Affairs Committee will be appointed to review an appeal only after an attempt has been made by the involved persons to resolve their differences within the following framework:

·         Student conferences with the instructor.

·         If necessary, student conferences with his or her faculty advisor.

·         If necessary, student conferences with the appropriate Division Chair.

·         If necessary, the Division Chair conducts a conference with all parties present.

When appealing a final grade received in a course, students must file an appeal before the end of the eighth week of the fall or spring semester following the semester, session or term in which the grade was recorded.

Information on appeal procedures is available in the Office of Academic Affairs. After an Academic Committee has issued an opinion on an appeal, the plaintiff or defendant can appeal the decision to the Office of Academic Affairs. An appeal must be submitted in writing to the Office of Academic Affairs within ten days after the decision of the Academic Committee.

Grading System

Final grades are reported for each student for every course undertaken according to the following grading system:


4.0 Grade Point



3.0 Grade Point



2.0 Grade Point



1.0 Grade Point

Below Average


0.0 Grade Point




When, in the instructor’s judgment, justifiable circumstances exist, the instructor may issue an “I” grade.



No grade points awarded. A “W” grade is assigned to a student’s record as an understanding that a student has withdrawn from a class.



Failure to successfully complete a credit or non-credit course.



Credit allowed for proficiency/testing, e.g., CLEP, ACT-PEP, APP.  Credit hours are included in hours earned, but not used in computation of grade point average.



An “AU” indicates that no credit was earned, and is not used in the computation of a grade point average.


Administrative Withdrawal

The student has been “involuntarily” withdrawn by the institution during the designated semester for disciplinary or financial reasons.  An Administrative Withdrawal requires approval by the Office of Academic Affairs.  An “AW” grade is not used in the computation of a grade point average.


Leave of Absence Status

The student has voluntarily withdrawn due to personal, professional, or military reasons. LOAS application must be signed by the Associate Dean of Faculty (Office of Academic Affairs). The Vice President of Finance will approve the disposition of student’s financial obligations at time of application.


No Show

No Show grade applied when student receives no show status during a semester.  NS is not used in the computation of a grade point average.


Incomplete is defined as when a student has done satisfactory work in a course but has failed to complete a portion of the course requirements because of documented, extenuating circumstances. The instructor submits the request (via MOODLE: Fac Res Site: Incomplete Grade Request) for approval to the Office of Academic Affairs specifying the class assignments and exams yet to be completed. The time period to complete the coursework will not exceed beyond mid-term of the following semester. For students in accelerated programs, the time period to complete the coursework may not exceed beyond six months from the date the incomplete was approved.  At the end of the contracted period the instructor must submit a change of grade request for the "I" with the final grade to be awarded (via MOODLE: Fac Res Site: Grade Change Request) to the Office of Academic Affairs. If the instructor has not requested a change to the "I" grade within the specified time period, or the student does not complete the assignments as stipulated, the "I" grade will be changed to the grade submitted by the instructor on the original request. The "I" grade is not used in the computation of a student’s grade point average.


When a student finds it necessary to withdraw from all classes, he or she must officially withdraw from the College or the academic record will reflect the grade assigned by the instructor according to the instructor's grading policy for that class. The withdrawal process begins by completing the official online withdrawal request at www.bacone.edu. During the fall and spring semesters, students have until the end of the last business day of the tenth week to withdraw from a class and not have a grade reported for the course. After the tenth week, no withdrawals are possible and the student will receive a grade for the course. Summer sessions and courses meeting at special times and have withdrawal dates that vary. Students must check the current, official Academic Calendar or with the Office of the Registrar to find out the allowed dates of withdrawal for those sessions. Once a student has officially registered, in order to receive a 100% refund a withdrawal form must be completed prior to the first day of class.


Course by Special Arrangement

Under certain circumstances, students may petition for an “arranged” section of a required course that is unavailable to them at its regularly scheduled time. The decision to authorize such an arranged class is made by the student’s advisor, the applicable division chair/dean, the Registrar, and the Office of Academic Affairs, respectively. Factors taken into consideration include the degree of conflict, convenience, previous opportunities to take the course, semesters remaining in which the course might be taken, and whether or not a substitution or waiver of the required course might be possible.  An additional fee will be required when the course is solely for the convenience of the student and not due to some error on the part of the College.

Directed Study

In consultation with an advisor or sponsor, students are invited to propose directed study in subject areas not included in the catalog or in the regular curriculum. This opportunity is available as an accommodation to students where special need, strong interest, and a lack of appropriate alternatives exist. Approval of directed study is by the student’s advisor, the applicable division chair/dean, the Registrar, and the Office of Academic Affairs.  An additional fee will be required.

Policy Regarding the Appropriate Use of Technology in the Classroom

Bacone College recognizes the growing importance and impact technology is having upon teaching and learning in higher education. As a result, the College supports the appropriate use of the latest technology by students and professors. However, the College is equally aware of the potential, serious distractions to learning that can occur by the thoughtless and insensitive use of technology in a classroom setting. To promote the most effective classroom learning environment possible, the following identify the appropriate use of technology in Bacone College’s classrooms.

  • The faculty member(s) of record for each course has the right and responsibility to determine the appropriate use of technology by students in the classroom(s) where course sessions are held.
  • Cell phones must be switched to off, silent ring, or vibrate and put away.
  • PDA's, IPOD's, and other similar technological devices must be turned off and put away.
  • Laptops may be used in the course at the discretion of the instructor or professor. Students are not allowed to access non-class related websites, instant messaging, or software programs at any time during the class session.
  • Recordings of class sessions shall be used only for the student's private study and information from those recordings will not be made available to other persons not enrolled in the course.
  • Faculty may dismiss from any particular class session, a student violating any of the above requirements or uses another technological device not listed above in a way that is distracting to the professor and/or members of the class.

Transfer of College Credits

Bacone College reserves the right to determine for itself college course credits from other institutions that are acceptable to be transferred in to meet graduation requirements. Courses will not be accepted in transfer and applied to student degree programs until the College has made such determination and the student's advisor, the applicable division chair/dean, and the Registrar have granted PRIOR approval. Transfer credits will only be applied to the permanent record of a student currently enrolled at the College. Transcripts received for a student who does not have a current enrollment will be filed until such time as the student officially enrolls for classes at Bacone College. Bacone College allows credits transferred from another institution to apply towards one of its degree programs where a minimum grade of "C" has been earned in the course(s) taken at another institution.  All coursework taken at any previous college(s) will be applied to the permanent academic record of the student according to the grading policies and procedures of Bacone College (see under Academic Forgiveness in the Academic Information section regarding the policy to request removal of any previous coursework).

Current students who want to take a course at another college should complete a Request for Transfer of College Credit form prior to that time to be sure that course will be accepted in transfer (refer to the Academic Information section regarding the minimum number of hours required for associate degrees and bachelor degrees). This form may be obtained from the website www.Bacone.edu or the Registrar's Office.

Transfer of College Credit Policy for Non-Regionally Accredited Institutions

The Higher Learning Commission states, in their Commission Policy and Good Practices on Transfer of Credit, under The Role and Responsibilities of Institutions, that colleges and universities are ultimately responsible for decisions about the admission of transfer students and the acceptance or non-acceptance of credits earned elsewhere.  Typically, academic faculty and student affairs professionals (working within the framework of faculty rules and standards) determine the transferability of courses and programs.  Institutions must balance responsiveness to students’ preferences about transfer with institutional commitment to the value and quality of degrees or other credentials.

In light of this statement from the HLC, the following procedure will be followed in determining how transfer of credits will, or will not be applied from an institution of higher learning that is not regionally accredited based upon the previously noted HLC Practices on Transfer of Credit.

Step 1 – Registrar will contact surrounding area colleges who are regionally accredited to see if they have accepted credits from the college in question.

Step 2 – The student will be notified that Bacone College will need a syllabus for every course the students wants to have accepted in transfer.

Step 3 – A copy of the course syllabus received will be sent to the respective Division Chair/Dean for consideration.  The Division Chair/Dean may determine that a specific faculty member in their department with expertise in the area of the course should review the syllabus.  Once a review of the syllabus has been conducted, acceptance/denial will be noted and sent to the Registrar.

Step 4 – The Registrar will keep a paper trail of any syllabi sent to Division Chairs/Deans.  Once a determination has been received from the Division Chair/Dean, the Registrar will notify the student by written communication.

Transfer of Elective Credit – Bacone College will not accept elective credit from an unaccredited institution unless it is a recognized course that it offers.


Transcripts may be requested by one of the following:

  1. By personally stopping by the Office of the Registrar, located in Palmer Center on the campus of Bacone College;
  2. By emailing a scanned, signed request to Registrar@bacone.edu.
  3. By mailing a request to the Office of the Registrar, Bacone College, 2299 Old Bacone Road, Muskogee, OK 74403; or
  4. By faxing a request to the following number: 1-866-498-1487.
  5. By visiting www.bacone.edu and applying for a transcript request.

All requests for transcripts must include the following information:

a. Name

b. Name on Transcript

c. Social Security or Student I.D. Number

d. Approximate dates of attendance

e. The signature of the person whose transcript is requested, authorizing release of the transcript

f. Payment of a transcript fee (current student – first five (5) transcripts free within the calendar year; thereafter, $5.00 per transcript. Former student - $5.00 per copy) – check, money order, or Visa/Master Charge accepted. For transcript inquiries call 918-781-7401.

Bacone College reserves the right to withhold official and unofficial transcripts until satisfactory arrangements have been made for payment in full of an outstanding student account in the Business Office.  Please allow two business days for processing a request for transcript.

Continuing Education

Continuing education is designed to meet the ongoing educational and occupational needs of east central Oklahoma area residents. Linking the community and the college, continuing education operates on the premise that learning is a life-long process. Focusing on a wide range of educational categories, Continuing Education courses aim toward fulfilling the needs of students of every age, economic status, and educational level.

Continuing education is provided for all segments of the community for credit or non-credit. Short courses, workshops, seminars, and special offerings benefit students professionally, culturally, socially, and vocationally. Contact the Center for Christian Ministry for more information.

Summer Term

The Summer Term consists of one eight-week session. Students may take no more than nine credit hours unless they obtain permission from the Academic Vice President to take more.

Merritt D. Betts Library

The mission of the Merritt D. Betts Library System is to support scholarship and education by providing outstanding and innovative information services and resources to the students, faculty, and the research community.

The Library provides access to materials in print and increasingly in electronic formats, including Westlaw, Medline and other Internet-based resources. Databases are accessible 24/7 – with appropriate credentials.

Bacone College Archives and Special Collections

The Bacone College Archives and Special Collections are housed in Betts Library which is the administrative division that oversees the library’s rare, fragile, archival, or other holdings needing special care. Our goal is to make these materials accessible to researchers while preserving the items for posterity. This is a non-circulating part of Betts Library and is accessible by appointment only. 

The collection ranges from American Indian literature to scholarly monographs including government documents detailing ethnographic studies and historical records of American Indian tribes.  In addition, the holdings include some manuscript collections, notably the journals and diaries of Joseph Murrow, a prominent American Baptist missionary who resided in the Choctaw Nation in Indian Territory in the latter nineteenth century. 

Betts Library houses existing materials and seeks to acquire manuscripts, photographs, older published materials, and contemporary scholarly monographs in American Indian history and cultures, with special attention to history of tribes in Indian Territory.  The library accepts as donations published materials appropriate to research on American Indian history and culture.  In addition, published or manuscript materials related to the history of Bacone College, especially collections of papers from Alumni who have achieved significant prominence in American history are desired for the collection.  Oral history materials (recordings and/or transcriptions, preferably the latter) are sought from all the aforementioned and from individuals associated with Bacone College who can reflect on the past history of the institution.  In accordance with Bacone College's donation policy, all donations are required to be approved by the Development Office and by the Executive Director of Betts Library prior to acceptance.


Supplemental Academic Services


Student Support Services/Trio

Student Support Services is a program to offer students additional services in order to assure they have the support they need to stay in college and, ultimately, graduate.  To reach those goals, SSS/TRiO offers a variety of services in designed to assist students in meeting their academic, personal, career and social goals. You may visit their Center for Academic Success for additional academic advising, academics assistance, such as coaching or tutoring, and help in completing the financial aid process. Other services are cultural enrichment trips, professional and peer mentoring, guidance in applying to graduate school and workshops on important topics, like personal financial management, time/task management, test taking skills, and writing skills. 

SSS/TRiO is 100% funded by the United States Department of Education.  According to the grant and the Department of Education, the goals of the program are to improve the retention and graduation rates of students.  To qualify, one must (1) be an American citizen, (2) have an academic need, and (3) meet one of the following criteria: a) first-generation college student (parents do not  have a 4-year (bachelor’s) degree);  b) financially under-resourced, and/or c) documented physical or mental disability.  Applications and more information are available in Palmer Center 204 or by calling 918-781-7254.

Statement on Learning and Physical Disabilities

Bacone College accepts students with learning and physical disabilities and provides reasonable accommodation to help them be successful. Depending on the nature of the disability, some students may need to take a lighter course load and may need more than four years to graduate. Disability accommodations in higher education are approached differently than in grades K-12, and colleges and universities are not obligated to provide the same accommodations provided by a previous school. For details from Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the American with Disabilities Act of 1990 regarding Documentation Guidelines, Burden of Proof, Individualized Accommodations, and Guidelines, See Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. Students needing accommodation should apply as early as possible, usually before the semester they plan to attend classes. Students need to identify and document the nature of their disability which usually consists of results from testing done by a psychologist, psychiatrist, medical doctor and/or other qualified licensed individuals. It is the responsibility of the student to provide the College with the appropriate materials documenting the learning and/or physical disability. The documentation needs to include a recommendation for accommodations from the qualified licensed individual. The College does not provide assessment services for students who may be learning disabled nor does the College have structured programs available for students with emotional or behavioral disabilities. For information regarding learning or physical disability accommodations please contact the Office of Academic Affairs.